I think many single women take sleeping alone for granted. I’m not going to lie, I would enjoy having a GOOD man to share my life and my bed. No, I’m not just talking the sex of bed-sharing, but actually sleeping together. The warmth of a man’s arms around you, protecting you as you slumber, undaunted. And then he begins to snore. Loudly. Now you will spend much of the night awake and in your head… counting sheep, updating your to-do list and resenting the fact that he is well into REM while you are preparing for a day full of people telling you how tired you look.
Snoring is just one of many reasons many couples are challenged with sleeping in the same bed. A mattress that is too small, room temperature preferences, different schedules or having the tv on or off can cause conflict when it comes to co-sleeping. Before you tag me as a ‘Debbie Downer’ consider the fact that having your own sleep disturbed for the sake of love can be detrimental to your health. Chronic sleep loss can put you at risk for diabetes, stroke, heart disease and more. Even many married couples understand. About 25 percent of married couple sleep in separate rooms in order to get a good night’s rest. It’s called a sleep divorce.
So, before you put sleeping alone (again, not talking sex here) at the top of the list of reasons you hate being single, consider your health… as well as my top 10 reasons to celebrate solo slumber.
1. You don’t have to shave your legs everyday
2. You can sleep in the middle of the bed, and have all of the pillows
3. You can sleep with the lights, tv or radio on or off
4. You can wear a sexy nighty or you can wear those worn our pink pj bottoms with that faded grey t-shirt with holes that makes you look 10 pounds heavier, but feels uber comfy
5. You can go to the bathroom in the middle of the night with no fear of falling in the toilet because someone left the seat up
6. You can eat in bed and you don’t have to share
7. You can condition your feet, put a mask on your face or sleep with that mouth guard
8. Thongs by day, granny panties at night
9. If you like the bedroom cold, it can be cold. If you like it hot, well dammit, it can be hot